Jan. 21st, 2012 | 02:43 am
Nov. 29th, 2011 | 11:46 pm
May. 1st, 2011 | 10:31 pm
I am participating in my towns first Relay for Life this year, which is such an awesome thing! Relay for Life is an event to help raise money for cancer research and programs of your American Cancer Society. It is an overnight relay where teams try to keep at least one person walking around the track for 24hrs, each team member raises money, to help meet that specific teams goal!
I am very passionate about Relay for Life not only because it's my first one, but because my team and I are doing it in honor of a very dear friend who passed away from pancreatic cancer almost two years ago. Her name was Luann Barton, she was only 44 years old and passed away after less than 5 months of being diagnosed. Not only was she my co-worker, but she was also an excellent friend, and I remember her delivering pizza to me since I was very young. To this day I hear the back door open at work and expect to hear her walking in, she was that much a part of the place.
Pancreatic cancer is such a dire cancer, and not many people know how bad it can be. In fact Pancreatic cancer has the highest mortality rate of all major cancers. 94% of pancreatic cancer patients will die within five years of diagnosis – only 6% will survive more than five years. 75% of patients die within the first year of diagnosis.
Pancreatic Cancer Facts
- An estimated 43,140 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in the U.S., and over 36,800 will die from the disease.
- Pancreatic cancer is one of the few cancers for which survival has not improved substantially over nearly 40 years.
- Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States.
- The average life expectancy after diagnosis with metastatic disease is just three to six months.
- Few risk factors for developing pancreatic cancer are defined. Family history of the disease, smoking, age, and diabetes are risk factors.
- Pancreatic cancer may cause only vague symptoms that could indicate many different conditions within the abdomen or gastrointestinal tract.
- Symptoms include pain (usually abdominal or back pain), weight loss, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), loss of appetite, nausea, changes in stool, and diabetes.
- Treatment options for pancreatic cancer are limited. Surgical removal of the tumor is possible in only approximately 15% of patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Chemotherapy or chemotherapy together with radiation is typically offered to patients whose tumors cannot be removed surgically. Only three drugs are FDA‐approved for the treatment of pancreatic cancer: fluorouracil (5‐FU), gemcitabine (Gemzar®), and erlotinib (Tarceva®).
- Pancreatic cancer is a leading cause of cancer death largely because there are no detection tools to diagnose the disease in its early stages when surgical removal of the tumor is still possible.
- The National Cancer Institute (NCI) spent an estimated $89.4 million on pancreatic cancer research in 2009. This represented a mere 2% of the NCI’s approximate $5 billion cancer research budget for that year.
Lou was a great friend, and she's be missed by a whole community. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her. I know that most people know, or have known someone who's been affected by cancer, and that's why it's important to me to raise money to find a cure.
I would greatly appreciate if any of you could donate even a dollar! I know times are tough, and all of you would donate if you could. Even if no one can donate, I still wanted to post this to honor my friend, and to make all you ladies aware of pancreatic cancer because it is such a fast moving disease with such trivial seeming symptoms. I love and appreciate all of you!
If you would like to donate HERE is the link.
May. 27th, 2010 | 12:35 am
So the day I made my sunglasses frame, I also bought a bookshelf to hold my many shoes! It's plain black, from walmart. I looked at the nearest thrift store, but the only bookcases they had were holding stuff. Weird. So I put it together, whilst Mako my Kitty cat played inside of it the whole time! He's so silly! I luff him! anyways back to the subject, my shoe shelf! I have many a shoe, and really I should throw probably at least half of them away. I have old converse that would make good puppets, but I just don't have the heart! I have at least four pairs of workshoes. Millions of sandals that are falling apart, so I have decided I am going to start going through my collection, and just keep a few pieces.
On another note, today I bought some wedges. I have never owned any wedges and I think they are kind of a key fashion piece, so I didn't feel bad for buying them. Especially for summer! They also aren't as hard to walk in as heels are! :P I'm obviously not very good at that yet (Even though I bought the CUTEST floral print heels the other day from plato's closet) I'm in love with these shoes and will probably wear them every day I can!
My sister really loved my Sunglasses Frame, and she asked me to make her one for her jewelry, so I think I'm going to start that soon! I'm not quite sure what to use as pegs to hold for the necklaces, and she wants lace, which I know is super expensive. So we will see what happens. I am definitely looking forward to do it! Maybe I will make one for myself!
May. 24th, 2010 | 09:06 pm
I was feeling crafty... well more organizational than anything today. I made this sunglasses holder today! All I did was buy fabric, an old picture frame from a thrift store, and cork board. I glued the cork board to the picture that was in the frame(some boring old farmhouse painting). then stapled and taped the fabric to that. I did the same with the ribbon. probably not the most "legit" crafting I've ever done. But I don't have all kinds of supplies, and it was probably faster to staple and tape then wait for glue to dry. It was a first time test kind of thing anyway! Next time I should probably do a step by step type of post, but I didn't do this for blogging purposes. It's a really great way to get this stuff off of a surface to free up more space! It definitely cleans things up a lot!
May. 23rd, 2010 | 12:46 pm
( Fuck gold she was platinum digger!Collapse )
Mar. 4th, 2010 | 12:21 pm
day two / your favorite movie
day three / your favorite television program
day four / your favorite book
day five / your favorite quote
day six / whatever tickles your fancy
day seven / a photo that makes you happy
day eight / a photo that makes you angry/sad
day nine / a photo you took
day ten / a photo of you taken over ten years ago
day eleven / a photo of you taken recently
day twelve / whatever tickles your fancy
day thirteen / a fictional book
day fourteen / a non-fictional book
day fifteen / a fanfic
day sixteen / a song that makes you cry (or nearly)
day seventeen / an art piece (painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.)
day eighteen / whatever tickles your fancy
day nineteen / a talent of yours
day twenty / a hobby of yours
day twentyone / a recipe
day twentytwo / a website
day twentythree / a youtube video
day twentyfour / whatever tickles your fancy
day twentyfive / your day, in great detail
day twentysix / your week, in great detail
day twentyseven / this month, in great detail
day twentyeight / this year, in great detail
day twentynine / hopes, dreams and plans for the next 365 days
day thirty / whatever tickles your fancy
Dec. 28th, 2009 | 02:32 pm
Dec. 9th, 2009 | 02:32 pm
Seriously 76 email notifications. Fuck off!
Oct. 4th, 2009 | 12:29 pm
I'm really loving my photography class, but i have to come up with a proposal for our final. We have to have 10- 15 prints for our final, and ten rolls of film. which will be really fun but I have no idea what I want to do.
1. Take double exposures of my friends wearing black shirts, and double expose tree branches and stuff like wierd car parts, to be their insides. I like it, but we have to ask questions like what are the things you would like to provoke with these pictures yadda yadda yadda.
2. recreate album covers.... could be fun, but I think it's pretty generic.
3. something like this
blah. I'm not feeling creative in actually coming up with a plan at all, I usually just go with the wind. :\
So your opinions or ideas would be appreciated.
Jun. 17th, 2009 | 10:32 pm
Jun. 17th, 2009 | 02:25 pm
I took these at the UN plaza in SF. What an experience. I have more coming on another roll.
Jun. 11th, 2009 | 01:55 pm
May. 21st, 2009 | 01:15 am
May. 7th, 2009 | 11:41 pm
Mar. 12th, 2009 | 01:05 am
Feb. 25th, 2009 | 02:27 am
I would like the fifth one to leak asap. :)
Feb. 11th, 2009 | 02:17 am
So when my dad redid my computer I lost all of my bookmarks. The one I'm looking for right now is the one that you copy the link from a site and paste it into a box and it will give you a link to download the video off the page.I only ever used it on youtube. I just need this song. :\ I also want the oren lavie video on my ipod.
I've been drawing again somewhat lately.
Haha, never mind, google got me my m.i.a. and any song that she has everdone, or remixed or anyone who has remixed her. haha. So happy. Jill and I hung out today. It was fun. Sometimes I feel like she's my only friend. but she's my sister.